Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Two Words: Puncture. Wound.

I love my horse, I love my horse, I love my horse. I, however, DO NOT like the $575 vet bill that came with the puncture wound last week. Ugh. I suppose we were over due for an accident. Butthead :P Of course, I was away the day he got the puncture. I was helping my college roommate trailer her filly down to Chincoteague for training and was having quite a good time off. Then I received a text from the barn manager. Bubby came in with a bump on his jaw, swollen, hot, what should she do. So I had her hose it and see if it would help. It seemend to and Tuesday the swelling was almost gone. I was trying to catch up on sleep Wednesday when the phone rang. Bubby couldn't eat and his jaw was swollen. I get to the barn and see that he isn't terribly comfortable and he couldn't complete the chewing cycle/phase. So our vet came out a few hours later and determined it was indeed a puncture. Looks like he put his head somewhere it shouldn't have been. *SHOCKING* He cleaned it up and gave us a round of meds and bute, and topical ointment. He also got a penicilin shot and banamine that morning. UGH. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much last week. I held myself together but I was beyond worried. Any number of things can and could happen. As it is, his WBC count is elevated AND the flora in the wound doesn't react to SMZs ($50 down the drain). Good news; he is doing well. Good attitude, good appetite (except for one morning I ran to the barn because SOMEONE got overly ambitious over breakfast) and it seems to be healing very well. *knock on wood* this continues! Oh, and did I mention Darryl also refused to eat when Bubby couldn't? Oy boys, really??
Needless to say, our exercise routine has been nixed until further notice. And he was going sooooo well. Damn it. And I've realized after riding one of the lesson horses, I really miss my horse. His attitude, his work ethic, his athleticism, EVERYTHING! Maybe next week?? Maybe?? Please?!
On a positive note, this past weekend was a BLAST. Scottish Games with Albannach (practically in my backyard!) Saturday and then Chambersburg that night with graduation on Sunday. It was awesome.
Well, off to (hopefully) FINALLY get some sleep. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment