Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sometimes Its Truly Rewarding :)

So here I sit...kind of whining....kind of recooperating, haha. Business has been slow. Nothing unusual for the time of year. Most people get their horses' teeth done around the same time they have the vet out. Which, for this area anyway, is Spring/Summer. However, this week is kicking my butt a bit. Starting with last Friday.
Is it really hard to tell if a road is clear or not??? Oy. I love my little Honda. After having been told that the road was okay for me to come down, I turn down a road that no plow, at any point in time, EVER passed over. I truly didn't think I was getting out of there. My little car is good but not THAT good. Thank God it surprised me and me made it to and from the appointment! A very interesting appointment too. I thought I was pulling wolf teeth and floating 4 horses. Turns out, the one did not have wolf teeth (he had canines....not unusual for the first time horse owner, haha) and there were 2 horses, 2 ponies and 2 mini donkeys.....that does not add up to 4....just in case you didn't know.....lol. BUT, everyone is done every 6 months and are very good for the dentist...Well, except that damn pony. I'm thinking it a TMJ issue. He had HUGE ramps and small hooks on his 2nd premolars. So much so he had a WAVE on his incisors! How cool! How interesting! So, I'll be back this Spring to correct that and check on the ramps and hooks. The ramps he let me get...the hooks, HA! Little bugger. The points are gone but I couldn't get them fully >:/ After 30 minutes of getting drug around the stall and beat up in general, you just have to call it. Nothing is in his way anymore, its just not perfect. Oy. Just wait, little pony, just you wait.
Monday was long just because the appointment was 2 hours away. And my weekend was long. No, not that kind of long. Just on the go all day Saturday AND Sunday. Sleep? What's sleep? :P it was a good day though. I went back to a horse that we couldn't do a month ago. He was rescued by his current owners and lord only knows what his history is. he was underweight, malnutrition and still recovering from a car accident. When I pulled up Monday, I did not recognize him. He is GORGEOUS. Buddy is filled out, not limping hardly at all (from the accident) and has lovely conformation! Who knew! His owner is brand new to horses but she has a good friend who is helping her and they are taking fabulous care of this boy. Lucky, lucky boy he is :)
Yesterday...oh boy. First, we left 2.5 hours late due to ice. Then, getting to the barn on a driveway that can't really be plowed....good thing we left late, haha. The horse was a 17hh TB. Huge and super ADD. Hence, I have a few battle wounds as a result of "distractions". Yeah, grit on table floats WILL cut your palm open. In particular, when the equine makes a sudden movement upwards. Don't get me wrong, he was a good boy.....just easily distracted, lol.
That was one 1.5 hour drive South. We then headed another 1.5 hours East on an urgent call. Older horse suddenly dropping weight and overall declining in health. The vet thinking he has an infected tooth causing most if not all his issues. And, has been off his grain for the last few days. We weren't quite sure what we were getting into. Sometimes, we dentists can't resolve the problem. Sometimes its too late.
When we arrive, the old guy is in his stall. He was alert, which is always a good sign. But he was jaundice and had low, low blood pressure. Oy vey. The initial dose of sedative the vet had left wasn't enough. Again, somewhat of a good sign that he still has his opinions about him. So, we wait for the vet to come out to sedate more heavily. He has at least one tooth that needed to come out and was very very sharp. With the sedation, we got the first tooth out (note: first). Then, as I had ahold of the second, he went down. Crap. He backed into the corner, rested his hind and just laid down. Never worked on one laying down. First time for everything! The vet and his owner had to hold his head up but I got the other 2 bad teeth out and floated what teeth he had left. Turns out, his condition was a result of bad divorce. Great. To punish you ex, to take the horse and then don't take care of him. Nice. Real nice. Jackass. I hope we weren't too late for him. There's no way to know if the infection progressed to his other organs. He's back on antibiotics and his teeth no longer cause him pain. His owners are really pulling for him and I hope I hear from them soon that he's making a turn around. Time will tell I suppose. If nothing else, at least he'll leave knowing he was loved and appreciated. It just sucks that we may have been to late because someone was holding a grudge.

Til next time. Maybe I'll have news by then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment